Enhancing the profession to ensure quality patient care.
[Proviso: State Assemblies with 250 active members or less shall elect the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and one Director in odd-numbered years and shall elect the Secretary and two Directors in even-numbered years.]
The officers are the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
A candidate shall have been an active member for one year immediately preceding nomination and, if elected, shall maintain that active status.
The required curriculum vitae, consent to serve, and one year of active membership in the state assembly is the only eligibility criteria that will be considered by the Credentials Committee.
[Proviso: The following bylaw is required for all states that have been formed for at least five years unless an exception is approved by the National Board of Directors.]
- The President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall serve for a term of two years.
- All newly elected officers shall assume office at the close of the elections.
- No officer may serve more than two full terms in the same office.
- Any amount of time served that equals more than half a term shall be considered a full term of office.
If a position is uncontested the position remains open. Every open position to be elected by the state assembly general membership at your annual business meeting. If not elected by the membership then vacant positions are filled per the State Assembly Bylaws.
- A vacancy occurring in the office of President shall be automatically filled by the Vice President.
- A vacancy occurring in the office of Vice President shall be filled by the State Assembly Board of Directors from among the Board members.
- In the event there is a vacancy in both the offices of President and Vice President, both offices shall be filled by the State Assembly Board of Directors from among the Board members. Both offices shall then be elected at the next Annual Meeting.
- A vacancy occurring in the office of Secretary or Treasurer between Annual Meetings shall be filled for the unexpired term by the State Assembly Board of Directors. (Elected by the BOD among the general membership.)
- Vacancies for Directors occurring between Annual Meetings shall be filled for the unexpired term by an appointment made by the State Assembly Board of Directors.
What if the person holding the uncontested office has already held the office for the allowed number of terms?
They cannot hold office beyond their allowed terms.
Does the President appoint someone from the Board to the uncontested office?
The President never appoints a vacant position, always a Board decision as a whole.
What if the President is the uncontested position? Does that person stay as President even though they have already served the allowed number of terms?
They cannot continue to hold office after serving two full terms. A vacancy occurring in the office of President shall be automatically filled by the Vice President.
Students can serve on the Tellers Committee, however, the Committee Chair is an Active AST member. Cannot serve on the Tellers Committee if running for an elected open board position or as a delegate/alternate for the upcoming AST National Surgical Technology Conference.Sample Tellers Committee Report
Tellers Committee Duties Responsibilities