The Association of Surgical Technologists is sponsoring a surgical mission trip to Kenya, Africa, with Kenya Relief, May 8 – May 19 to assist with general and orthopedic surgical procedures. We will be responsible for identifying CSTs, CSTs/CSFAs and RN/CSTs in support of this trip. CSTs may circulate, prep cases as well as scrub. Current AST membership is required.
Applications will be taken from November 1 through November 30. Deadline to submit your application is November 30, 2018. Each member of the team will be responsible for their air travel and meals. (Kenya Relief has an experienced travel agent to arrange flights and help team members meet up if possible).
$1,900 per person to Kenya Relief which includes:
- One night stay in Nairobi (Arrival meal additional)
- All in-country transportation
- All meals and lodging at Brittany House (Kenya Relief compound)
- 2-day Safari package
- Airfare ranges from $1,000 to $2,500
- Visa - $50-$55
- Immunizations: $150 - $500 (estimated)
- Spending money: $200 - $400 ($40-$45 trip for driver; $20 entrance to Masai village; and $10 for tips
Who Should Apply:
- 1 videographer
- Passport (must be valid 6 months from travel date with at least two open pages)
- Visa ($50-$55; available for purchase online)
- Immunizations: Yellow Fever; Hepatitis A and B; Typhoid; Tetanus Booster (if necessary) and
- Anti-malarial medication and Cipro are needed.
- Background check and completion of mission organization documents
Note:Pre-trip planning is available by email and phone. AST members are eligible to apply for the Medical Mission Scholarship to the Foundation for Surgical Technology. ASA members are eligible to apply for the Kenya Relief Scholarship. Both scholarship opportunities require receipts and the completion of the online applications.
Where in Kenya:
Arrival City: Nairobi
Destination: Migori, Kenya
Accommodations: The Brittany House
Learn More about Kenya Relief at www.kenyarelief.org
Emergency contact information:
Which Position Are You Interested?
For the purpose of consideration for the AST Medical Mission, your essay should describe your background and why you should be selected to participate. The essay should explain your willingness to give back to those in need and your experience within the profession. In addition, if selected, please describe how you would either write an article to be published, and/or how you would present at your state assembly, national, or educators conference on your experiences and how they impacted you. Your submission will be reviewed by the Medical Mission Committee.
Why do you wish to attend this trip?
Describe your strengths and weaknesses
What do you hope to gain from this trip?
NOTE! Failure to submit all required documentation will nullify application