2. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and proficient
practice in the first scrub role in the majority of
3. Applies knowledge of advanced surgical techniques.
4. Applies knowledge related to emergency situations
and surgical procedures in the operating room.
5. Demonstrates critical-thinking skills in relation to
anticipating the perioperative needs of the patient and
6. Exhibits a higher level of collaboration with peers in
making decisions related to surgical patient care.
7. Assists in performing circulating skills and tasks.
8. Participates in program to achieve Level III: Expert
Level III: Expert Practitioner
Level III is an advanced practitioner who thinks on a global level
and participates in endeavors related to, but outside of, the
1. Meets the criteria stated in Level II.
2. Demonstrates superior knowledge of the various surgical
equipment and advanced surgical instrumentation.
3. Demonstarates superior knowledge and expert practice
in the first scrub role in advanced surgical procedures.
4. Performs the preceptor role in the training of students.
5. Demonstrates leadership abilities.
6. Serves as a mentor and role model.
7. Belongs to at least one department or hospital
8. Involved with community health promotional efforts
and other related community services.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of department fiscal
10. Participates in decision-making activities related to
evaluating and acquiring surgical equipment,
instruments and supplies.
11. Collaborates with other health care professionals in the
development of surgical budgetary requirements.
12. Demonstrates skills in organizing and coordinating the
effective use of personnel and materials.
13. Develops, organizes and delivers continuing education
topics and courses.
CLINICAL LADDER FOR THE SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST