The Association of Surgical Technologists has established a fund to provide its members with a measure of assistance in the event of a natural disaster, tragedy, or medical emergency affecting them or their immediate family member, providing these events meet the criteria established for this fund.
- Recipient shall have been an Active Member of AST for a minimum of two years immediately prior to event.
- Member or immediate family affected by:
- natural disaster as designated by FEMA (ex. hurricanes, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes)
- loss of life, spouse, child (dependent)
- Personal injury/loss to member, spouse, child, (dependent) requiring hospitalization greater than 1 week.
- Other circumstance as deemed suitable by the committee
- Application submitted to AST within 90 days of the event by the affected member, or by another member on behalf of the affected member.
- Applicants are only allowed to apply once every two years.
- The approved application is on file with AST.
- The applicant will receive an automated letter reply stating the request was received, is being reviewed, and that they will receive an answer within 30 days.
- The submitted application will be forwarded to the members of the Sunshine Fund committee for review and determination of award amount.
- A letter/email will be sent from the Sunshine Fund Committee to notify the member if the application has been accepted or declined. If declined, a reason for declination, including criteria not met will be given. All verified applicants will receive a 6-month membership extension to AST.